Tuesday 12 August 2008

GAS

Sometimes you have to just admit that you’ve missed something the first time round and aren’t as on the money as you’d like all of your friends to think. In this particular case, I just don’t care because I’m so digging this 4CD boxset I have of the entire back catalogue of studio albums from Gas that I bought on a complete whim over the weekend.

Gas was the project of Kompakt label-boss Wolfgang Voigt – he recorded 4 studio albums under the name between 1996-2000 before deciding it had run its course and retiring the moniker. The albums he left behind however, are among the best ambient-techno I’ve heard (pre-dating a mid-point between The Field and Stars of the Lid), and now they’ve been collected in a convenient and beautifully packaged box-set and re-released on Kompakt after being unavailable for years. It’s the best £22 I’ve spent this year.

I’m sure that you’ve all got these already from when they were out originally and you’re all laughing at me, but cut me a break OK. I was busy listening to blur in 1996.

No comments: