Tuesday 27 January 2009

THE TOP 5 MOST OVERRATED RAP ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

First of all, obviously all UK rap albums have been disqualified from this list. I mean, I honestly can’t even be bothered to put finger to keyboard to describe why Run Come Save Me by Roots Manuva isn’t that good, and it’s pretty evident to anyone who isn’t a drum n’ bass fan from Bristol that Skinnyman is fucking rubbish. Secondly, although it didn’t make my list, I do think that Illmatic by Nas is a bit overrated, but I think that’s more to do with the fact I don’t listen to lyrics and jazzy saxophones give me a severe migraine.

5. ‘Paid in Full’ – Eric B & Rakim

Rakim is often praised for his complex internal rhymes, his literate imagery, his velvet smooth flow and unpredictable off-the-beat rhythms. What Rakim is rarely praised for, however, is having any good songs. If you can hum the tune of one other track on this album asides from ‘Paid in Full’, I will quite happily remove this album from the list and replace it with another De La Soul album .

4. ‘The Low End Theory’ – A Tribe Called Quest

Again, I suppose this comes down to me hating jazzy saxophones, but seriously, who in their right mind, would make an album that features a jazzy saxophone on every single track? Can’t you give me a break from jazzy saxophone for like ten minutes? Just ten fucking minutes dudes. Seriously, even Kenny G albums don’t feature as much jazzy saxophone as this does.

3. ‘All Eyez On Me’ – 2 Pac

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person who ran all the way home from the record store with this in my hands, excitedly ripped-off the packaging, put the disc in the player, immediately fast-forwarded to ‘California Love’ and then nearly cried with disappointment when it transpired it was some shitty remix and there were no other good songs on the album.

2. 'Three Feet High & Rising' - De La Soul

This is pretty much the most pussy rap album ever made. In fact, the only album in the entire recorded history of music that I can immediately think of as being more more pussy than this, is ‘Bryter Layter’ by Nick Drake.

1. ‘It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back’ – Public Enemy

The most annoying thing about Chuck D is that he doesn’t seem to realize that if black people really wanted someone to marshal considerable revolutionary force, fierce intelligence, and a boundless vocabulary into the world of rap music, they would pick someone with a sense of humour and good dress sense. Like Chris Rock for example.

4 comments:

Alex Stein said...

I will be Alex and you will be Alexander - http://falsedichotomies.com/2009/01/29/the-great-overrated-rap-debate/
one love

Mario Orduno said...

Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Read it twice! All Eyez On Me blows and I never could get the 'Paid In Full being so great' thing. I like it ok, but classic? I wrote a blog reviewing Kurt Cobain's Top 50 that I still get flak for. I bet you get the same for this.

Mario Orduno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You don't listen to lyrics but you are going to judge music that is lyrics driven? Wow, that's pretty wack.

Do you go to the movies with your eyes closed and then review them too? Maybe you also dine in the finest restaurants only to shove the food directly down your neck-hole to bypass your taste buds.