Thursday 22 May 2008

MANTAPOOK

Anupa Madawela aka Mantapook is self-professed "second coolest Asian man in rock". He's probably right in saying: "Kim Thayil from Soundgarden is cooler and a better guitarist than me (he's 100th best guitarist in rock according to Rolling Stone magazine), but I'm cooler and a better guitarist than the singer from My Vitriol and that guy from Cornershop".

After covering Pearl Jam's 'Alive' in the vein of 'Locust Abortion Technician'-era Butthole Surfers (if they only had a Bontempi-organ and a Random Tone Generator at their disposal), Mantapook uploaded a few tracks to his My Space which are pretty much some of this best shit I've heard all year. I'm kind of biased though, because I like music which sounds like a really, really heartbroken Dave Pajo backed by the world's oldest drum machine.

Download: Atmosfear - Mantapook


No comments: